We have substantial experience in the field of energy law, particularly in the context of international arbitration. Members act for oil and gas majors and national utilities, providing legal and strategic litigation advice during all stages of proceedings, as well as drafting and advocacy. In the past year we have acted for three national oil companies in relation to disputes around the globe, including Asia, Africa and Europe. Our members understand the challenging technical and commercial issues at stake in this highly specialised and dynamic industry sector. Our approach is precise, pragmatic and effective. We take a particular pride in providing a highly responsive and committed service, with a strong emphasis on Counsel working in close cooperation with solicitors. Over the years, this approach has led the development of very effective and successful professional teams.
Examples of work include:
- Acting for an international oil and gas company in defending an arbitral claim for breach of a farm-in agreement concerning an off-shore drilling project.
- Instructed in an adjudication concerning the supply and installation of transformers in a hydro-electric dam.
- Acting for an international oil and gas company in relation to the recovery of US$8 million in misapplied trust monies.
- Acting for three national oil companies in defending a US$1.276 billion claim in an arbitration concerning rights to an oil transportation system.
- Acting for a national electricity company in a US$50 million claim in an arbitration concerning alleged exclusive rights of power supply.
- Acting for a national oil company in successfully defending a US$35 million claim in an arbitration concerning disputes arising from an oil transportation agreement.
- Acting in an expert determination concerning a petrochemical construction project.
- Advising on issues arising from international supply agreements.