Delivering an outstanding client experience is at the heart of everything we do. Our members are committed to providing superb levels of client service coupled with the highest quality advocacy and advice. You will also receive excellent support from our experienced practice managers and business services team, offering the same level of expertise, professionalism and helpful approach to all our clients. Our strong focus on client service and quality control is recognised and endorsed by the leading legal directories.
Client Service Principles
We follow a set of Client Service Principles to ensure that our clients receive the highest standards of service. These principles are consistently tested when we request client feedback.
"The clerks were great. They were on the ball all the time, and went the extra mile to make sure the barrister was always on hand. They have one clerk allocated to a case - it's streamlined." – Chambers UK
We undertake regular client service reviews with clients either in person, by telephone or email. We also request client feedback following seminars and other training events. We always welcome feedback as it enables us to continuously improve and innovate, and add value to the client experience. Our client feedback programme is run by Vince Plant, Chambers Director.
Our clerks are organised into teams with specific responsibilities for different barristers to avoid conflicts of interest or issues of confidentiality. Members have their own dedicated email address as well as direct telephone number. As a leading set, there are occasions when members of Chambers act for both sides. In these instances we have procedures and processes in place to ensure the strictest confidentiality. For further details, do not hesitate to contact Vince Plant, Chambers Director.
We are committed to providing a first class service to all our clients, however, should you have cause to complain, the procedure to follow is set out here. Any complaint should be addressed to Timothy Brennan QC, Head of Chambers, who will confirm receipt and initiate the process. A lay client may complain directly to Devereux without going through a solicitor or other intermediary.
If the complainant remains dissatisfied following Chambers’ written response to the complaint, he or she may complain to the Legal Ombudsman. A referral to the Legal Ombudsman must be made within specific time periods:
- within six months of our final response to the complaint; and
- within six years of the date the issue occurred; or
- within three years of the date the complainant became aware of the issue.
The Legal Ombudsmen can be contacted through http://www.legalombudsman.org.uk, by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or by telephone (0300 555 0333). Alternative complaints bodies (such as Ombudsman Services, www.ombudsmen-services.org) exist which are approved to deal with complaints should both parties wish to use such a scheme.
Previous decisions of the Legal Ombudsmen can be accessed by clicking here.
Chambers has been refurbished to an extremely high standard with a focus on creating comfortable surroundings and modern conferencing facilities for our visitors.
Our main reception is at Devereux Court near the Royal Courts of Justice in central London with easy access to public transport.
Our facilities include:
- 5 conference rooms
- 1 breakout room
- arbitration and mediation facilities
- seminar room with seating for 40 with multi-plasma screen presentation capability
- 2 conference rooms with full multi-party video conferencing facilities and Skype
- multi-party telephone conference facilities
- wheelchair access, wide access routes and a toilet adapted for disabled use
- a hearing induction loop for the hard of hearing
- free wifi
- catering facilities
- air conditioning
- business services: copying, printing and scanning
Should you require additional assistance, for example to arrange parking for clients with limited mobility or to print larger font size documents, please contact our receptionists or the practice managers before your visit to discuss any requirements you may have. If it would be more convenient for Members to travel to clients’ homes, please discuss this with our practice managers.
Our Business Services department is situated in Queen Elizabeth Building in Middle Temple. Chambers Director Vince Plant, practice managers, marketing, accounts and administrative staff are based here. Chambers Administrator Jacki Muirhead, is responsible for the smooth running of the building and heads up the finance and administrative teams.
The overriding ethos of consistently offering first-class client service to all our clients has been recognised by both Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 over several years. 2021 Testimonials include:
- Always very responsive, they run a tight ship.
- The service the clerking team provides is flawless.
- They are the most responsive, understanding and user-friendly clerks at the employment Bar.
- They are very easy to communicate with and very practical with the needs of the client in terms of fee structures and rates.
- An impressive clerking operation that understands the commercial needs of solicitors.
- Chris Downes and Cyrus Biggs are always extremely professional and understanding
- Chris Downes is excellent. Not only is he responsive in finding appropriate counsel, he also thinks proactively about contacting us with developments. He really is exemplary in showing how clerks are developing out of the traditional role into true practice managers.
- Clerking service is very responsive and friendly, especially Zoe Hamilton.
- Clerks are fantastic and always at the end of the phone to help. James Hudson is great.
- Chris Downes and Cyrus Biggs are very responsive and always keen to offer assistance
- Easy to deal with. Interested in a long-term relationship.
- Find Laurence Willicombe and Cyrus Biggs are extremely helpful. Very responsive.
- Glenn Billenness is the Senior Practice Manager and one of my two ‘go to’ clerks whenever I am looking to instruct counsel. He is exceptionally good and I always feel confident that he and his team understand the needs of my clients.
- Head and shoulders about the competition. Good at meeting with instructing solicitors and broadening the relationship, constantly looking of opportunities to develop relationship with us. Glenn Billenness and Cyrus Biggs are great assets to the team.
- James Hudson is always extremely helpful. Nothing is ever too much trouble and he is always well organised. A prompt response is always received.
- The clerks are always extremely helpful and have a wide knowledge of procedures. The clerking is slick and responsive. James Hudson is particularly adept at working the diaries to accommodate the needs of instructing solicitors.
- They have a good understanding of procedures and they make the set very user friendly. James Hudson is worthy of mention for his enthusiasm and slick clerking.
- The extent of my communications with the clerks has been professional, pleasant and effective. The clerks have always been understanding, prompt and provided exactly what was required. Laurence Willicombe was in particular very helpful.
- Cyrus Briggs stands out for exceptional service as a clerk.
- Glenn Billenness and Cyrus Biggs in particular strive to see this as almost a consumer industry and accordingly work hard to make sure instructing solicitors are looked after.
'Devereux has a developing reputation for its clients service and is noted for being a “very user-friendly and modern set.” This is highlighted by one interviewee who said: “There is nothing stuffy about this chambers; the individuals here are approachable and flexible, and everyone from the clerks to the counsel are really geared up to look after clients.” This concern for the client extends to the provision of year-round seminars in chambers for solicitors and a commitment to regularly visiting clients’ offices to present talks particular to their requirements. Chambers director Vince Plant is called “incredibly industrious and very client-friendly” whilst Chris Downes and Glenn Billenness are “fantastic clerks.” Devereux are probably best summed up by one impressed interviewee who called them “a fine set of chambers with helpful, approachable clerks.”' – Client Service at the Bar, Chambers UK 2018
"The clerks are first-rate and they give a great service." "The clerking service is very good. Paperwork is fast and efficient, and the individual clerks are approachable." "The clerks are very easy to work with and do the best they can to accommodate our needs and those of our clients." – Chambers UK 2017
The ‘second-to-none’ clerking team is ‘approachable and responsive’, and ‘a pleasure to work with’. Chambers director Vince Plant and deputy senior clerk Glenn Billenness ‘stand out as brilliant clerks’. At practice manager level... Laurence Willicombe and Chris Downes ‘go out of their way to assist their instructing solicitors’. – Legal 500 2016
“All the Devereux people we work with are committed to getting the best possible result for clients and they bring with them a wealth of experience." "The clerks are brilliant. There is always someone available and they respond immediately.” – Chambers UK 2015
Find A Barrister
Barristers at Devereux are "excellent, innovative, thorough and skilful."
Chambers UK Bar 2019